ADVANTAGES OF INVESTMENT CASTING
- Complete design flexibility (freedom for the designer).
- Intricate shaped parts can be cast without usual mold parting line.
- Excellent surface finish of the order of 2.3 to 3.2 microns (varies according to alloy) can be obtained.
- A high degree of "as cast" dimensional accuracy.
- Typical 0.12 mm per linear 25 mm, INS normally achieved, hence reduction / elimination of machining operations.
- Lower tooling cost and high life of tooling.
- Accurate reproduction of fine details e.g. Slots, holes and cast letters (LOGO).
- Unlimited choice of alloys to obtain superior metallurgical properties.
- Intricate parts weighing from a few gms to 50 kg and maximum size of 350 x 350 x 250 can be cast.
- Suitable for batch as well as mass production at attractive price and low lead time. (Flexibility of ordering).
INVESTMENT CASTING PROCESS CYCLE
- Preparation of disposable wax patterns by injection moulding & inspections of wax patterns.
- Manufacturing & inspection of die as per customer’s drawing. Specifications with close tolerances
- Assembling of wax patterns on runner to from an assembly.
- Building a ceramic shell by alternate dipping of the assembly in ceramic slurry and stuccoing under controlled conditions of humidity and temperature.
- Pouring molten metal in the sintered shell and cooling under controlled atmosphere.
- Drying and de-waxing the ceramic shells.
- Breaking the shell, fettling, heat treatment and cleaning to the casting.